mksmbpasswd.sh

Mook, R.S. van (CIV) R.S.vanMook at civ.utwente.nl
Mon Jul 12 11:42:37 GMT 1999

Unfortunately, it's not possible. Both the unix password crypt and the NT
password crypt are one-way; i.e. it's impossible to extract a password from
an encrypted string. Due to the different nature of the Unix and NT way of
encrypting it's also not possible to convert the encrypted strings. This is
also in the documentation that comes with the samba sources, by the way.

So, you basically need to find a way to retrieve plain-text passwords from
users and implement the
passwd sync in smb.conf, or live with 2 different passwords.

Cheers,

Remco