Slightly OT: ipfwadm and Samba

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Wed Jan 27 02:35:58 GMT 1999

I am trying to get a firewall up to protect our network, but it seems
that I keep running up against undocumented features.  The last setup I
tried knocked DNS off the system, so I fixed that (I thought) and
brought up a really simple firewall.  Idiot proof, I thought.

NT and Win95 workstations were unable to log in.  Everyone who was on
the network could work, printer shairng worked, everything worked,
except that noone was able to log on (the message we got was that 1) the
roving profile was not available and 2)  no domain controller was
available).

I got a lot of rejections of UDP ports 67 and 68 in the messages files;
about one every 30 seconds.  I have no idea what ports 67 & 68 do for NT
and Win95 logins; ports 137-139 were open.

I would appreciate if anyone could share a working ipfwadm config or at
least point me in the right direction.  I can't seem to protect my
system without bringing down the network, and it's really bugging me.

Yan