Updated FAQ

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Jan 26 22:43:19 GMT 1999

Matthew Geier wrote:

>  As of a week ago - if I ran cacls.exe , I get lass.exe crashing and
> the system is 'dead'.

Strange....Hmmm...

>  BTW - does any one have any good references on how
> make Netscape behave on a 'secured' NT workstationa and
> keep its user profile on a network drive ?.

Very simple.  I'm attaching a perl5 script that will
create the registry entry given a username to point to
h:\the_net\communicator

Then start netscape with -P"%USERNAME%"

You can do the same type of thing with INF files.  This
does require that the user have write access to
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Netscape\Navigator\Users]

>  Im 3 weeks from going live with a 15 NT wks student lab
> served from a 2.1alpha server.

Been there done that.  Good luck! :)

>  My aim of course is not to allow the students to do
> any thing at all to the workstatiosn :-),

And their aim is to break in to your servers and do
what they want :)

> the local
> ACL stuff (other than protection) and using usermgr
> and friends is all not needed to keep students under
> control.

That and a horse whip..

jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter