NT as backup Domain Controller

Mark Bishop mark at bish.net
Tue Jan 26 06:33:07 GMT 1999

Tonight I was going to setup an NT machine as a Backup Domain Controller
to a Domain controlled by a Samba server and I ran into a few problems
with it.  One of the last steps of the installation you must put in the
Domain/Admin Name/Pword of the Domain it will be attached to and it comes
up with a message similar to 'This machine name is already configured as a
Workstation or Server in this Domain.' and kicks me out.  I can't finish
the installation.  I thought it was possible to have an NT machine
serve as a backup domain controller.  Do any of you have any experience
in setting this up? Any help or direction you can provide would be greatly
appreciated.