Do I really need one UID per computer?

Per Mathisen permath at ifi.ntnu.no
Tue Jan 12 15:05:40 GMT 1999

When I attempt to create new computer accounts using
"smbpasswd -a -m COMPUTER_NAME$", it insists on having
a system account by the same name. I have lots and lots
of computers to put into the domain, and the UID space
is shared between different departments, which makes
reserving an unused UID for each computer rather
unpopular. So my question is - is it possible, some way
or another, to avoid creating a system account for each
computer?

I am using beta 5, and I do not think I am not ready for
the prealpha just yet :)

Yours,
Per