FW: URGENT: REDHAT 6.1 STORES SAMBA PRIVATE FILES IN /etc

Chris Tooley ctooley at joslyn.org
Tue Dec 21 20:46:11 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: James Olin Oden [mailto:joden at lee.k12.nc.us]
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 1999 9:12 PM
To: ctooley at joslyn.org
Subject: Re: URGENT: REDHAT 6.1 STORES SAMBA PRIVATE FILES IN /etc

> 	If a systems administrator installs something like Samba and makes the
> smbpasswd file world readable, that person is asking for trouble.  If they
> are in a situation where they could leak out severely damaging
information,
> and they are using Linux, the chances of that person not having someone on
> staff to catch this error are slim to none.  Most of the places I've seen
> using Linux have several people going over the system thoroughly before
the
> network cable or modem cable gets plugged in.

Samba's apps could do something like sendmail.  sendmail will not run unless
base set of sane permissions exist on various files and directories, unless
you
set a particular macro (I think that is the right word) to true.  The macro
is something like DontBlameSendmail. I think this is a pretty good approach,
and could easily be incorparated into Samba...james