NT not to PDC? (RPC not found)

Chad Kitching kitchingc at mail.techplus.com
Sat Dec 11 08:52:57 GMT 1999

As far as I know, Samba (even the 2.1.x alpha versions) cannot replicate a
NT PDC, and therefore cannot demote a NT PDC to a BDC and then takeover PDC
roles.  You would have to completely remove the NT machine, make the Samba
server the only DC on the network, and recreate all the machine/user
accounts.  Unfortunately there's no way to change a NT PDC into a standalone
server (through official tools anyway -- there are apparently some that can
do it but are in violation of the incredibly strict NT license.  And no,
unfortunately, I don't have them.) except through a complete
format/reinstall.