NT not to PDC? (RPC not found)

Matthew Geddes mgeddes at xavier.sa.edu.au
Sun Dec 12 21:57:23 GMT 1999

Steve Litt wrote:

> Hmmm
>
> If it's on the same subnet as your Samba PDC, I'll bet you could put os
> level=255. I know that would make the Samba box the LDC. Now the question
> is would it also take the PDC job away from the NT box.
>
> By the way, according to GOTCHAS.txt, if you have NT servers on the
> network, you're better off using them as the WINS server and PDC.
>
> Steve Litt
>
> At 08:20 AM 12/11/1999 +1100, John Hanna wrote:
> >"domain logons = yes" was my problem. Now I have a new one -- How do I
> >tell my NT Server 3.51 to not be the primary domain controller, so that
> >Samba can do it? I tried to use the Server Manager->Computer->Promote to
> >Primary option but got the error message "RPC service not found" (or
> >something like that). The "Demote" option is greyed out for the NT
> >server.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >John

The OS level is just for Browsing purposes. The only way to turn a PDC into
a Member server is to re-install NT (Go Microsoft).. You can, however, stop
the netlogon service, and bring up the machine you want to be the PDC. If
this doesn't work, reboot the PDC, bring up the new PDC (before the other
one boots) and the OLD PDC will freak and refuse to do any Domain Logons.

Hope this helps,

Matt

P.S. When was the last time the Gotchas.txt was updated? I have been running
Samba 2.0.5a with NT as a member of the Samba-controlled domain, using Samba
as the WINS server fine. Maybe the file is just out of date?