security=?

Mike Harris mike at psand.net
Mon Dec 6 20:30:08 GMT 1999

password server = localhost will effectively endlessly loop your login
authentication around the same server - don't do it, it's only for remote
'pass-through' authentication by another box, Samba PDC or NT PDC.

Have you tried the version 2.0.6, it'll be more stable?

Are you running Samba as a PDC ?

Do you have an smbpasswd file ?

Also, you could look at the following parameters, they might help:

valid users = @admin
admin users = @admin

to get root access to the share for users in the UNIX group admin.

You could use the smbusers to map all other user accounts to nobody.  Or
perhaps place the users in the group nobody in the /etc/group file.

Another useful few parameters to look at are:

force group =
create mask =
directory mask =

Just some thoughts, not really a solution.

Good Luck!

Mike Harris,
Psand España.