PDC

Geoffrey Lee snail_talk at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 07:48:43 GMT 1999

Hi

This is covered in the FAQ. Seems you are missing something.

(1) you need to use encrypted passwords. You can hack the smb.conf file. You
must also create the samba password file, and you can do that with
mksmbpasswd.sh. try something like cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh >
/etc/smbpasswd
(2)
(3) You need to create an account for your machine in the /etc/passwd file.
Remember to add the dollar sign $ after the machine name. For sake of
security, set the shell to something like /bin/false
(4) Add it with the smbpasswd file. Smbpasswd -a -m foo. Btw, the a stands
for add account, m stands for machine account.
(5) Try joining the domain from the nt workstation. You cannot use the
create accoutn option yet because it doesn't work yet. You'll get a beatiful
message saying welcome to xyz domain.
(6)