problems with smbpasswd and freebsd

Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} lisa at USNA.Navy.Mil
Thu Dec 2 17:15:20 GMT 1999

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:13:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Lisa Becktold {CADIG STAFF} <lisa at USNA.Navy.Mil>
Subject: Re: problems with smbpasswd and freebsd
To: rad2921 at cup.edu
Cc: lisa at hermes.ewlab.usna.edu
Content-MD5: urCFQmaHoZRN0PoC7p/RHw==

Hi:

I add the NT workstation name with a dollar sign at the end in
/etc/passwd.  My entry looks like this (not the real pc name or IDs):

pc103$:*:5703:15555:NT-SAMBA machine {CADIG GUEST}:/dev/null:/bin/false

But when I run smbpasswd, I do not put the dollar sign at the end.
I was under the impression that the "-m" (machine) option does this
for you.  So the smbpasswd command I'd run for the above PC is:

	smbpasswd -a -m pc103

Are you using the dollar sign with smbpasswd?  That might confuse
matters....

Also, are you dealing with a local copy of /etc/passwd or an
NIS copy?  Are you making both the /etc/passwd and /usr/samba/smbpasswd
entry on the same machine?

Lisa

> Originator: samba-ntdom at samba.org
> From: "Tim Radigan" <rad2921 at cup.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-NTDOM <samba-ntdom at samba.org>
> Subject: problems with smbpasswd and freebsd
> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 02:07:21 +1100
>
> hi.. i'm new to this mailing list.. so if my answer has been answered before
> please dont get mad..
>
> but.. my problem arises when i try to add the workstation_name$ to
> /etc/passwd and then i run /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a -m
> workstation_name
>
> for some reason i always get the error "user not in system password file..
> but i have added it to /etc/passwd  .. i don't know what the exact problem
> is.. but i've gone through the Samba Online documents.. and i'm trying to
> have my NT Workstation to connect to my FreeBSD server using the latest
> version of samba.. the problem i get is the: "This machine account for this
> computer either does not exist or is not accessable."
>
> and samba won't recognize the added user i added in /etc/passwd.. if anyone
> has any suggestions please help.. thank you very much..
>
> Tim Radigan

      Lisa M. Becktold - lisa at usna.navy.mil, (410) 293-6480
               United States Naval Academy - CADIG
    590 Holloway Road, Rickover Hall, Annapolis, MD 21402-5000