(URGENT) Problems loggin in

Jason Lam jasonlam at softhome.net
Sun Aug 29 17:21:45 GMT 1999

I am using 2.05a on Mandrake Linux (RH clone). I was having a trouble with user loggin in. All machines were running fine, and login were OK before production. However, when in production, every work station cannot login, obviously the boss isn't happy.

I tried to trace the problem, I am havng one samba server as the PDC, and 7 other wks. Everything was ok, then I change the ip and put this into production and deleted the smbpasswd file because I got too many test account. Afterwards, I put it into production, then none of the machine is able to login.

There seems to be two problems here. First of all, when trying to login at the clients' computer. It gives me a message, "The system could not log you on......" It seems that the clients is not reconizing the PDC (samba). And is forming itself something like a workgroup. With one of the wks as a master browser. I am guessing it is due to myself deleting the smbpasswd and the machine accounts are gone. The following are what I can find in the SAMBA NT DOMAIN FAQ.
2.7  I joined the domain successfully but after upgrading to a newer version of the Samba code I get the message, "The system
can not log you on (C000019B), Please try again or consult your system administrator" when attempting to logon

This occurs when the domain SID stored in private/WORKGROUP.SID is changed.  For example, you remove the file and smbd automaticaaly creates a new one.
Or you are swapping back and forth between versions 2.0.x and the HEAD branch code (not recommended).  The only way to correct the problem is to

     Restore the original domain SID
     Remove the domain client from the domain and rejoin.
My first question is, how do I do the above?  Please be as detailed as possible, rebooting the wks doesn't seems to help.

Second problem is with the IP, since I changed the IP of the samba server. It seems that there are problems with samba when the server IP has changed. I did went into the /var/lock/samba and deleted EVERY files in that directory. However, it still doesn't seems to help, when I do "smbclient -L SERVER" it is still trying to get to the old ip rather than the new ip and therefore no route to host. Anyone have a solution to this?

Jason Lam