(URGENT) Problems loggin in

Steffen Moser moser at egu.schule.ulm.de
Sun Aug 29 22:54:34 GMT 1999

Hello,

Jason Lam wrote:

> There seems to be two problems here. First of all, when trying to
> login at the clients' computer. It gives me a message, "The system
> could not log you on......" It seems that the clients is not
> reconizing the PDC (samba).

Your WinNT clients must join your Samba controlled domain. Every machine
which should be able to do a domain logon must be a member of this
domain.

> My first question is, how do I do the above?  Please be as detailed as
> possible, rebooting the wks doesn't seems to help.

I think the best way would be to create new machine accounts in
"smbpasswd". Every NT Workstation must join the domain after that.

> Second problem is with the IP, since I changed the IP of the samba
> server. It seems that there are problems with samba when the server IP
> has changed. I did went into the /var/lock/samba and deleted EVERY
> files in that directory. However, it still doesn't seems to help, when
> I do "smbclient -L SERVER" it is still trying to get to the old ip
> rather than the new ip and therefore no route to host. Anyone have a
> solution to this?

Perhaps there is still an invalid record in a LMHOSTS file or an invalid
record in WINS or DNS? Did you have a look at "smb.conf" whether there
is the new IP address defined in the option "interface"?

Bye,
Steffen

--
Steffen Moser                    eMail: <moser at egu.schule.ulm.de>