running 2.0.5 and -HEAD on same system

Andy Polyakov appro at fy.chalmers.se
Tue Aug 24 08:36:31 GMT 1999

> > > Okay...thanks! ...below are the relevent portions of the two config files.
> > > What I have is a Ethernet NIC with address 10.100.0.12/16 and an IP alias
> > > 10.100.10.1/16.  I wish to create two vitual samba hosts.
> >
> > Probably I am completely wrong, but I once had difficulties with the
> > /16 netmask notation. Since then I always use 255.255.0.0 and have no
> > such problems anymore.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion... I tried this... no luck.  Nmbd for the second
> virtual host still dies complaing about being unable to bind to port 137 on
> 0.0.0.0 .  Is there any problem with the "interfaces" line for both virtual
> hosts
>
> Enough people have talked about doing exactly what I'm trying that either:
>
> * I'm missing something (or there's more to it than just setting 'interfaces'
> and 'socket address')
You do need 'interfaces', 'socket address' *and* 'bind interfaces only'.
But the 'bind interfaces only' is engaged much later when nmbd decides
to ignore a packet ment for another virtual interface. The first
"bastion" you get stopped at is 'socket address'. Did you try to trace
system calls? Just before the bind (the one that fails) it should call
setsockopt and set SO_REUSEADDR option. Try to explicitely set 'socket
options = SO_REUSEADDR'. Try to comment out lines #873-876 in
lib/util_sock.c. Do you have lsof? What does it show if you run 'lsof -p
<21nmbd>'?
> * or perhaps there's something different about FreeBSD's IP alias feature that's
> getting in the way.
I have no idea. I run it on SPARC Solaris.

Andy.