running 2.0.5 and -HEAD on same system

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Mon Aug 23 19:22:49 GMT 1999

vlendec at delphin.SerNet.DE wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 06:12:34AM +1000, Charles Owens wrote:
> > Okay...thanks! ...below are the relevent portions of the two config files.
> > What I have is a Ethernet NIC with address 10.100.0.12/16 and an IP alias
> > 10.100.10.1/16.  I wish to create two vitual samba hosts.
>
> Probably I am completely wrong, but I once had difficulties with the
> /16 netmask notation. Since then I always use 255.255.0.0 and have no
> such problems anymore.

Thanks for the suggestion... I tried this... no luck.  Nmbd for the second
virtual host still dies complaing about being unable to bind to port 137 on
0.0.0.0 .  Is there any problem with the "interfaces" line for both virtual
hosts

Enough people have talked about doing exactly what I'm trying that either:

* I'm missing something (or there's more to it than just setting 'interfaces'
and 'socket address')
* or perhaps there's something different about FreeBSD's IP alias feature that's
getting in the way.

I'd really like to get this working, but I think I've played enough.  Unless
someone else has any ideas I guess I'll just live without virtual hosting for
now.

Thanks,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx