Read-only files, but why?

Aaron Rainwater aar at cypress.com
Wed Aug 18 20:54:11 GMT 1999

Hello!

I've been running Samba 2.1.0-prealpha as our
PDC and fileserver.  Lately, some users have
been noticing problems with files being opened
as "Read-only", even when the permissions for
the UNIX file are global everything.  Also, I
checked the status of the connections under
Samba and the line for the open file reads:

28341  DENY_WRITE RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH

The line reads like this even during the few
times that the file does NOT open as "Read Only".

Here's the status for the same file, when I
open it when it's already opened (which *should*
create a "Read Only" opening:

28341  DENY_WRITE RDONLY     NONE

The problem has only occurred with powerpoint
so far.  It does NOT occur when the file is
being opened from the local hard-drive.

Oh, and Samba is set up for write access to
the share in question.

Any ideas out there?  Is this just a problem
with 2.1.0-prealpha?  This issue is pretty urgent,
since it could cause me to have to give up the
great PDC features of 2.1.0-prealpha in exchange
for the stability of 2.0.5a.

Thanks...  :)

--
Aaron Rainwater