Setting up samba with NIS (fwd)

Tolga Ceylan tolga at lcsl.metu.edu.tr
Mon Aug 16 12:34:46 GMT 1999

> Lisa,
>   Here is my smb.conf file I used to get NIS working with Samba 2.0.4b.  Its
> pretty simple, so nobody laugh :), but it works.
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = PNT-NAMERICA
>    server string = Solaris Samba Server
>    hosts allow = xxx.xxx. 127.
>    log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
>    max log size = 50
>    security = user
>    domain logons = yes
>    nis homedir = true
>    homedir map = auto.home
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>    dns proxy = no
>
> This was a very simple setup of Samba with NIS username/password
> authentication.  Your Samba server should now allow NIS username/password
> authentication.  I don't know if this will help you out, but its the best
> help I can offer.  There is also support for NIS+, but I have yet to attempt
> to tackle that beast.
>
> Jason P. Holland
> Unix Administrator - Sprint Paranet
> jphollan at sprintparanet.com

I am mixed up. Does NIS & Samba interaction mean that UNIX passwords
are also valid in samba?  What about smbpasswd file, shouldn't we
feed it with plain text passwords? I have a linux PDC, serving to
40 NT SP3 clients, our department is basically unix, and I would be
pleased to use the unix passwords...

Tolga Ceylan
System Administrator
Middle East Technical University