NT-Samba Backups

Matthew Keller kellermg at potsdam.edu
Tue Aug 3 13:22:54 GMT 1999

Star of the Sea wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>         Is it possible to have an NT 4.0 sp4 server, with a tape backup
> drive, backup not only it's own files, but the files on other Linux
> servers including the samba directories? If so, how is it done?  Could
> someone point me in the right direction.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Anthony L. Sollars
> System Admin
> Star of the Sea School

        I've recently implement Veritas' Backup Exec software (Backup
server is
NT) (formerly owned by Seagate) (www.veritas.com). The current version
is very robust and has nice remote management capabilities. Among other
things it backs up a TON of different UNIXs. Support for various
distributions of Linux (including 5.2 and 6.0, which we are runnin
Netatalk on) is included in their 'multi-server' version.
        This program backs up ALL Linux file perfectly (including
Windows,
OS/2, Mac files residing on the server). I recommend buying the software
from Micro Warehouse (
http://www.warehouse.com/DataComm/Networking_Software/Utilities/Back_Up/
) as they have the best prices available.

        Just though I'd share..... :)

--

          - Matthew Keller -
       Lead Programmer/Analyst