IE Cacheing/Profile Size

Scott Ruffner jpr9c at cs.virginia.edu
Tue Aug 3 18:08:43 GMT 1999

I've had issues with this previously, and the best answer we found
(leaving the IE cacheing scheme as it come from MS) is to prevent winlogon
from uploading that part of the profile.  You can indicate directories to
be excluded when uploading the profile to the server; with NT workstation
(which we use exclusively), you don't have to worry about old profiles
left lying around, since other users aren't going to be able to read them.

The registry key and value to prevent directories from being uploaded is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER]\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
"ExcludeProfileDirs"="Temporary Internet Files"

You can add any other directories to this, just comma delimit them.

There is one other solution, the one recommended by MS; this was to have
IE delete all of it's cache on close.  This way there's nothing there to
upload.  Our users preferred to have large caches to speed things up.  In
most cases they typically worked on the same workstation 90% of the time
and "roamed" for only 10%; consequently, they "ExcludeProfileDirs" worked
best. YMMV.

Regards,

Scott
--
Scott Ruffner                   Computer Science Department
Systems Engineer                226E Olsson Hall