domain login across subnet - how?

mark at hoist.nlcomm.com mark at hoist.nlcomm.com
Sat Apr 24 21:32:12 GMT 1999

   On Sat, 24 Apr 1999 mark at hoist.nlcomm.com wrote:

   > Hello there!
   >
   > I have three subnets, each connected to a "backbone" via routers.  I
   > have a Linux system, running Samba as an NT domain controller, on the
   > backbone.
   >
   > I definitely want to avoid LMHOSTS if at all possible.

   You will need to use WINS.  Both NT Server and Samba can act as a WINS
   server.

OK, I have WINS enabled in samba, dhcp, and in the Windows 95 control
panel but still can't log into the domain from another subnet.  Here
is a summary of my config options in smb.conf:

os level = 34
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes
wins support = yes

How can I test the WINS server?  wins information is randomly
scattered throughout the samba documentation and all that is ever said
about it is that it is a Good Thing.

Thanks,
Mark