Samba machine cant be seen in other domains

Paul Pongco paulp at dilnet.upd.edu.ph
Tue Sep 29 16:25:15 GMT 1998

 Hi,
 This question may have been asked before but i am new to this.
 I am running samba-1.9.18 on Redhat 5.2 on a 2.0.34 kernel. This machine
 is on a 10.36.4.x network. The problem is if i go to a Win 95/NT computer
 on another domain 10.36.x.x, the samba server on the linux box cannot be
 seen by this machines. I have tried the remote announce option as seen
 below but it does not work.
 I also have some trouble on how i could set up samba as a replacement for
 an NT server.
 here is my smb.conf

> ; The global setting for a RedHat default install
> ;======================= Global Settings =====================================
> [global]
>
> ; workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
> workgroup = IRC
>
> ; comment is the equivalent of the NT Description field
> comment = IRC Linux Samba Server
>
> ; so we are seen
> browseable = yes
>
> ; Options for handling file name case sensitivity and / or preservation
> ; Case Sensitivity breaks many WfW and Win95 apps
> ;   case sensitive = yes
> short preserve case = yes
> preserve case = yes
>
> ; Security and file integrity related options
> lock directory = /var/lock/samba
> locking = yes
> strict locking = yes
> share modes = yes
>
> ; Security modes: USER uses Unix username/passwd, SHARE uses WfW type passwords
> ; SERVER uses a Windows NT Server to provide authentication services
> security = user
>
> ;passwords are encrypted and stored in a file at /usr/private/smbpasswd
> ;needed for Win 98 logon
> encrypt passwords = yes
>
> ; Use password server option only with security = server
> ;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>
>
> ; Before setting socket options read the smb.conf man page!!
> ;socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> domain master = yes
> domain logons = yes
>

> ; Domain Control Options
> ; OS Level gives Samba the power to rule the roost. Windows NT = 32
> ;	Any value < 32 means NT wins as Master Browser, > 32 Samba gets it
> os level = 40
> preferred master = yes
> remote announce = 10.32.1.255/DILNET
> socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
> deadtime = 15
> announce as = NT

 Thanks in advance
 Cheers,