profile directory

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Mon Sep 14 17:59:48 GMT 1998

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> *Please* send me the netmon captures so I can fix this :-) !

The capture is ready, where do you want it ?

> There are 4 methods of SMB password changing (great
> protocol huh :-).
>
> 1). Plain text -- Samba does this.
> 2). The little-known Lanman hash password changing method.
>     This is an old compatibility mode in which only the
>     lanman hash is done. NT can do this if you don't support
>     the NT password changing methods. Samba also supports this.
> 3). The Win95 encrypted password change method - Samba does this.
> 4). The undocumented NT password change RPC - this is the only
>     one that Samba doesn't do yet.
>
> It is vauguely possible that his NT setup was using method
> (2) as Samba was announcing no support for NT RPC calls and
> now we're announcing such, method (2) is no longer being
> used.

You mean NT SMB calls ? As samba is annoucing NT RPC calls since day one
of PDC support. Or I missed something

Before replying, I checked myself with:
	An NT4 SP1 workstation,
	A samba PDC server checked out on July 10 or so, which doesn't
have the NT SMB calls but have the spoolss support (my dev server)

I tried to change my password from the Ctrl|alt|del windows and it was
unsuccessful. I didn't try from a dos box with a net user command. Anybody
tried ?

	J.F.

Pinky: "What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky :
	try to install Windows NT !"