Hilarious feelings, browsing success :)

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Oct 13 21:02:26 GMT 1998

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Harald H Hannelius wrote:

> Q: Is this the 'goodness' of win98's browsing capabilites?

I havw noticed that the workgroup browsing does seem to work a little
better in Win98.  The domain master browser location stuff is generally
(slightly) more reliable.  Haven't looked into specifics though.

> We are now considering migrating from Novell to Samba (300 users)...

Yeah! :)
> How do I get passwords synced reliably? I haven't go this working

Have you trie dthe "Unix sync option" or something like.  If you Samba on
your NIS master it should enable you to use the password program and
password chat para,eters in smb.conf to get Samba to change the NIS passwd
at the same time that it changes the smbpasswd file.  This only works for
Win95 at the moment.  NT user password changes are not quite ready yet.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )