what about Active Directory Services?

Jens B. Jorgensen jjorgens at bdsinc.com
Fri Oct 9 21:13:12 GMT 1998

Right, that's so AFAIK. I just got excited after reading the ADS whitepaper
for a number of reasons. First, domains will be internet-style (bdsinc.com)
and people will login to the domain with a friendly name which would be
'name at domain'. Next, the paper suggests, the way I read it, that we'll be able
to modify the directories and add custom data fields. Perhaps then we could
add the unix password (and the rest, home dir, etc) to the records and thus
finally be able to unify network logons. I find this even more exciting that
mapping NT UIDs and GIDs to unix, yada yada. Since supposedly Kerberos
security will be used interoperability with unix should be easy (granted:
nothing like this is ever as easy as it looks). This would be great because I
don't like NIS (or NIS+) anyway. I think LDAP is a much better solution. Is it
possible we can have a one, true login?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens at bdsinc.com