yodl is _cool_

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Nov 25 13:54:44 GMT 1998

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, David Bannon wrote:

> At 04:49 AM 25/11/1998 +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >please could someone review docs/manpages/smb.conf.5 or
> >docs/htmldocs/smb.conf.5.html sections "domain group map" and "local group
> >map" see if you understand what the heck is going on, because i sure don't
> >:-)
> >

> Well, I have read both the man page (or that bit) and then re-read Luke's
> post of Nov 18. No, I cannot say it is clear at all.
>
> Lukes post says that smbpassgrp syntax is :
> username:uid:alias1,...:group1....

that is for "smb group file" and "smb alias file", please ignore these.

> But man page says its :
> UnixGroupName : DomainGroupName

that is for "domain/local group map"

> However, Lukes post also mentions that syntax in the paragraph above the
> definition of smbpassgrp. Hmm.....
>
> Can we get it a bit clearer ?

re-read it
> For example, to map someone, who is a member of (unix) adm as
> (NT) Administrator would we do this ? :
>
> domain group map = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpassgrp

this, _if_ this parameter was being used, should be:
"smb group file = ..../private/smbpassgrp"

but like i said ignore the smb group/alias file parameters you want:

"domain group map = /usr/local/samba/private/domain.map"

> and in smbpassgrp we have :
>
> adm Administrators
>
> I cannot try it at present as I cannot get the 2.0 beta1 to allow any sort
> of NTDomain logon. Works fine if I revert to 2.0 prealpha but that does not
> use the new syntax. Why am I seeing reference to 2.0 beta2 in cvs change
> log, I cvs'ed only an hour ago and just checked, cvs gets me 2.0 beta1 ! Do
> I need the -r BRANCH_WHAT_EVER to get 2.0 beta2 ??

-r SAMBA_2_0.  DO NOT check out in the same directory as the main branch
is already checked out in.