sercurity = server

Ramon Buckland r.buckland at qut.edu.au
Tue Nov 3 08:29:03 GMT 1998

Hi All,

Great Job you are all doing, I have been on the list now for a few weeks and
.. wow... keep it up.

I have a few weirds happening with my local setup and I was wondering if
somwone
could shed light.

Background:
NT4 Controlled Domain (NT4SP3 PDC and BDC)
Samba 1.9.18p10
security = server
encrypted password = no

Win95 clients scattered around using all three and each other.
No password encryption is being used.

WIN95_WS is WIN95 OSR/2 (User level Access, Obtain list from Domain)
C$ is shared with UserGroup given Full Access
myuser is in UserGroup
smbclient //win95_ws/sharedir -U myuser
<prompts for password> (enter passsword)

*** Connects, not a problem ***
</mnt/mountdir exists>

smbmount //win95_ws/sharedir /mnt/mountdir -U myuser
<Doesn't Work (says needs -I ipaddr)>

smbmount //win95_ws/sharedir /mnt/mountdir -U myuser -I win95.ip.num
<doesn't work (says needs -c Netbiosname)>

smbmount //win95_ws/sharedir /mnt/mountdir -U myuser -I win95.ip.num -c
samba_netbios_name
<prompts for password> (enter password for myuser)
*** long wait ***
mount error: Invalid argument
Please look at smbmount's manul page for possible reasons

*** All CAPS ***
smbmount //WIN95_WS/SHAREDIR /mnt/mountdir -U MYUSER -I win95.ip.num -c
samba_netbios_name
<prompts for password> (enter password for myuser CAPS)
*** long wait ***
mount error: Invalid argument
Please look at smbmount's manul page for possible reasons

I can mount shares from the NT4SP3 PDC and BDC from Samba not a problem
using smbmount

This one has me bafffled.
Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Ramon

Ramon Buckland
email: r.buckland at qut.edu.au    Phone: +61 7 3864 1110
Mobile: 0416 259 789         http://www.fss.qut.edu.au
QUT Facilities Support Services, Network Administrator