Initial testing

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu May 14 21:14:54 GMT 1998

Tavis Barr wrote:

> It has to be "smbpasswd -a -m HOLLAND", no?  Let me know if I'm wrong;
> I'm still having trouble with the machine passwords.

Shouldn't matter.  I haven't verified this in the source though.  Am
working on another problem right now.  The smbpasswd program should
insulate you from case anyways.

> Also, can someone explain the file DOMAIN.MACINE.mac file in the
> private directory?  There's a reference to it in the nmb log, but I
> can't find any documentation on it.  Do I need to configure it to have
> NT4 machine accounts?  What's the format?

Do you mean private/MACHINE.SID?  This is the domain SID generated
randomly if one has not been specified in smb.conf.  After generation,
this file is consulted rather than the smb.conf parameter.  It's
sometying Jeremy is currently working.  No docs yet.  There was a
message about that file recently though from jeremy.  Check the
archives.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter