password API needed, comments ...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu May 14 10:51:18 GMT 1998

On Thu, 14 May 1998, David Bannon wrote:

> At 02:53 14/05/1998 +1000, Gerald Carter wrote:
> >Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>

> >> smb.conf:
> >> [applications]
> >> read only = yes
> >>
> >> include = smb.conf.%U
> >>
> >> smb.conf.lkcl:
> >> [applications]
> >> read only = no
> >>
> >> [root_share]
> >> path = /
> >>
> >> that gives me a new share and changes permissions on [applications]
> >> from read-only to writeable.  for me only.  or i could do
> >> include=smb.conf.%g and grant all administrators the same rights...
> >
> >This is the equivalent of using the "valid users" parameter and "write
> >list".  Doesn't gain you anything really.  Simply a matter of
> >preference.

the bit with the [applications] is equivalent, yes.  i use the above
method because i never got "valid users" and "write list" to work :-)

the bit with the extra share [root_share] is definitely not equivalent.
unless you want to do "browseable = no" "valid users" etc but even then
that's not equivalent: some non-admin person will get an "access denied"
error not a "share does not exist".

personally i feel happier knowing that for certain users the share simply
does not exist, period.