password API needed, comments ...

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Wed May 13 22:55:26 GMT 1998

At 02:53 14/05/1998 +1000, Gerald Carter wrote:
>Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>> smb.conf:
>> [applications]
>> read only = yes
>>
>> include = smb.conf.%U
>>
>> smb.conf.lkcl:
>> [applications]
>> read only = no
>>
>> [root_share]
>> path = /
>>
>> that gives me a new share and changes permissions on [applications]
>> from read-only to writeable.  for me only.  or i could do
>> include=smb.conf.%g and grant all administrators the same rights...
>
>This is the equivalent of using the "valid users" parameter and "write
>list".  Doesn't gain you anything really.  Simply a matter of
>preference.

Not really equivalent. The 'valid users' approach has all the info in one
file and is much easy to maintain. You can see at a glance who are valid to
do what for a particular share by looking in only one file.

Might be different if we have a database approach with a nice clean
interface to the administrator but even that nice clean interface will hide
whats really going on. Sounds a bit like NT ??

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au