Security hole?

Celso Kopp Webber webber at sj.univali.rct-sc.br
Mon May 4 06:00:16 GMT 1998

    Hi all!

    I'm currently running the last sources from the samba CVS tree, and
it works
very well.

    I've heard recently that NT had a weakness because it accepted the
so called
'null sessions', so that one machine could administer another NT
remotely, without
providing a username and password. I found a small program on Internet,
named
QTIP, that can query any NT machine and get many useful information from
it,
such as  a list of users, list of shares, information about a user (for
instance, user
cannot change password). I've tested this program against one NT4 server
under
my administration, accross the Internet, and it worked! The bad part is
that
it worked against SAMBA NTDOM too!

    Am I mistaked? Does this really constitute a security hole that
samba is
vulenrable? I've heard also that NT4 with SP3 can, if the administrator
knows,
be setup on the registry to not accept 'null sessions'. Wouldn't it be
interesting to
samba do the same?

    Thanks in advance, and sorry if I'm saying any nonsense.

    Sincerely,

    Celso Kopp Webber.