R: NTDOM and sharing in Win95

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Mar 7 17:27:40 GMT 1998

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
>
> > After all, NTDOMAIN code actually support a user list (smbpasswd) and
> > maybe groups (domain groups setting?). Now, is it so complex to reply to
> > domain users enumeration requests issued by Win95?
>
> I think it's not so complex to implement it.

agreed, probably not.

> I think it's implemented
> on the lanman pipe and some SMB transact functions.
> (if i'm wrong luke will correct me :) )

ok, i'll say what i suspect is the case, without (like you) having win95
to check.

that this is one of the rare instances where win95 has dce/rpc client-side
code in it.  namely, that it may be possible to tell a win95 machine
"sorry, the request doesn't fit into an SMBtrans2 lanman packet" and it
then makes a dce/rpc request.

if we get the format of the response right in ipc.c, we can force win95
machines to make dce/rpc calls.

either NetMonitor or paul leach might be able to help clarify things,
here.

luke