using samba with nt

Chan Fook Sheng fschan at capgemini.com.sg
Tue Jun 30 05:05:08 GMT 1998

Hello everybody,

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the below:

I have a FreeBSD 2.2.6 with samba 1.9.18.3, I wish to share out my
harddisk on FreeBSD to Win95 users, and controlling access of
directories on FreeBSD through WinNT Domain Controller, is this
possible?

Do I still need users account on the FreeBSD? If so are they normal unix
users created by adduser?

Can I use user groups (from NT domain controller) in samba to control
directories access?

I tried to join my freebsd to the nt domain, but when I type smbpasswd
-j domain I got "./smbpasswd: Unable to get UNIX password entry for
user." does this mean I have to create an account for domain? If so, how
to do that?

I have read the faq and mailing list on the samba site, but I just can't
figure out what to do, I'm confused, pls help me.

fook sheng