Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords? (fwd)

Adam Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Jun 7 16:20:11 GMT 1998

> > > The best solution is to rewrite you passwd program on the unix box to
> > > pipe the change to /etc/passwd and smbpasswd.  This is fairly trivial
> >
> > this has already been done.
> >
> > ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/contributed/-0.2.tgz
>
> I just downloaded this file and looked at the documentation and the
> code.  I couldn't find any references to smb passwords, unless it's
> buried deep in the getpwuid() types of calls.  It looked like a plain old
> YP passwd program (although a perfectly good one at that).  Am I missing
> something?

I am the author of yp-smb-passwd.  They are drop in relacements for
yppasswd/yppasswdd.  You must replace both the client and the server.  They
yppasswdd executes /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd automatically when a user
changes their NIS password,  so they remain in sync.  The call is found in the
update.c file.  Let me know if you have any other questions.