How to use /etc/passwd passwords for NTDOM?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Feb 28 17:58:19 GMT 1998

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Liston Bias wrote:

> I'd be real curious to understand how to make this transition without
> knowing the plaintext version of the password.  Since we are dealing with
> two types of encrytion here, I do not see how you can make the transfer.
>
> is quite a task.  I look forward to using samba for authentication so that
> we may return to NISplus in non-campatibility mode which is, ofcourse,
> impossible with NISGina.

one possibility is to abstract smbpasswds a bit, making private/smbpasswd
one option.  another option being an ldap database or a NIS+ database
(secure password fields can be provided by these).

> Perhaps some of these problems will be address at the LISA-NT conference
> held in Seattle this August.  I will surely be there looking for these
> kinds of answers.  I'm certain many of you will be also.

i have submitted a work in progress paper to lisa-nt98, and hope to have
issues like this addressed by then.

luke