Samba is clobbering NT 4.0S Primary domain controller

Vince Geisler vgeisler at engineer.com
Fri Feb 13 22:41:03 GMT 1998

using samba 1.9.18.p1 precompiled rpm, I am having the problem of samba appearing to the NT 4.0 primary domain controller on our network as a backup domain controller..

If the NTserver gets rebooted the samba server will try to act as the domain controller(not very successfully) and won't give up control back to the primary domain controller when it comes back up. This has the effect of booting everyone off the network and locking up all the win 95 machines. This is not good :(

Why is this??? in smb.conf, I have tried to disable everything that I can find possibly relating to samba being a domain controller of any kind, primary or backup.

Perhaps it's been compiled in (I have the rpm version).

Here's the global part of my smb.conf file

[global]

workgroup = CLOGIC
username map =/etc/user.map
comment = SMEGHEAD
volume = area51
printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
max log size = 50
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes

; Security and file integrity related options
   	lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   	locking = yes
   	strict locking = yes
	share modes = yes

;SERVER uses a Windows NT Server
security = SERVER

Password server = OGOPOGO

; Performance Related Options
socket options = TCP_NODELAY

; Domain Control Options
; OS Level Windows NT = 32

os level = 1

; disables Samba from being the Domain Master Browser
  domain master = no

  domain controller = OGOPOGO

  domain logons = yes

any ideas??