pidfile_create error in nmbd

Andre Gerhard agerhard at amandy.redealuno.usp.br
Tue Aug 25 14:04:42 GMT 1998

Hello ...

I am using the latest samba NTDOMAIN release, source code obtained
by cvs.
My server runs the Linux Redhat 5.0 O.S., with kernel 2.0.35.

When starting the nmbd daemon (via inetd), I am getting the following
error message in syslog:

[1998/08/25 10:38:46, 0] lib/pidfile.c:pidfile_create(83)
  ERROR: nmbd : fcntl lock of file /usr/local/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid
failed. Error was No such file or directory

The result is that nmbd is not started, so no Samba ...

But the file nmbd.pid is being created, it appears in the
/usr/local/samba/var/locks directory, with a size of 0.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Andre Gerhard
Systems/Network Administrator
Universidade de Sao Paulo - SP - Brazil