Changing WS password every new installation

Mike Klinkert michael at cs.vu.nl
Fri Aug 14 13:52:02 GMT 1998

Hi all,

Let me start with boosting the ego of everyone involved with the development of
Samba. Great work, thanx.

Anyway, this is why I'm posting a message:
The last few days I've been experimenting with the unattend installation method
of NT (in this case the WS). Ergo, I try to make an installation with the right
(OEM) drivers in place, etc and because of this I've to install NT many times.
After the right network drivers were installed automatically, I noticed that NT
could not login on the Samba domain (configured as a PDC). However, it did do
that before my experiments. What I did was I set the password of the WS again
by typing: "smbpasswd MACHINE$" and used "machine" as the password (my WS's
name is not MACHINE ofcourse, it's just an example). This worked perfectly.
However, I have to do this everytime before I install NT, or else joining the
domain will fail (I noticed a "password fail" in the log.smb file, prefixed
with a "Trust relationship" something).
Am I missing something here? Is the password changed by the WS after the domain
joining? Setting the password of the WS everytime you (re)install NT is
somewhat annoying (especially if you forget to do it, since the unattend
installation will fail. Well it doesn't exactly, it just needs user input, so
the installation is no longer unattended).

Mike Klinkert.