UNIX/NT passwd sync: Confused

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Aug 13 16:25:00 GMT 1998

As the previous response said, there's no way to copy passwords directly
from /etc/passwd to smbpasswd.  However, there are several different hacks
people have put together to try to simulate the process.  Also, what we
did was just create random passwords for users in smbpasswd, then e-mailed
those passwords to the users and told them to change them if they found
them hard to remember (most of them did).  You might check the list
archives at http://samba.anu.edu.au/listproc for the various ideas people
have had.

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin at demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199