have to set "oplocks = false" for Word

Dana Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Sun Apr 19 21:35:04 GMT 1998

He might be getting confused by the way smbpasswd seems to work.  I've noticed that

if you don't run smbpasswd as root, it won't let you use the -m option (probably a
good thing,
of course) and even when you do run as root, if you do an smbpasswd -h, it has no
mention of the -m option.
This may be perfectly acceptable behavior, but maybe it should be documented
somewhere?  I don't think
the man page even mentions it. This is from memory, so the details might be wrong,
but that's generally
how I recall it worked.

Dana