Swat problems

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Apr 17 17:59:09 GMT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Fred W. Foss wrote:

> I don't mean to dump on everybody, but I am frustrated after trying to
> upgrade to 2.2.3a. Samba went in easy. But when trying to update swat, the
> instructions say to compile etc.  I don't see source, but I find under
> source/script a swatinstall.sh script. Ok try it.  Doesn't work.  Look at
> scripts oh it requires parameters... lets see..... Ok it needs this.
> Doesn't anybody document anything any more????? Or maybe check and modify
> the documentation when making changes??? (So far swat STILL doesn't work)

If you find inaccurate or missing docucmentation, I will gladly
integrate any enhancements/fixes you would like to send into the
existing documentation.

> I even looked for an email address to contact someone re the distro
> files without resorting to a mailing list --- you guessed it nada, at
> least not that I found in 15 minutes or so of looking.

My direct email is listing in the front page of the
Samba-HOWTO-COllection.pdf file include with Samba 2.2.3a
(in the docs/ directory).

> I was trying to get swat to install as a co-worker wanted to try Linux,
> but doesn't feel comfortable with the command line.  Oh well guess he
> can use 2000 :-(
>
> I am no super expert, but consider my self reasonably competent. I have
> compiled new kernels and have done a lot with my system. I even had swat
> running in an earlier version.

'make install' installs swat in /usr/local/samba/bin/swat and the HTML
files in /usr/local/samba/swat by default.  Then you simply follow the
instructions in the man page for editing /etc/inetd.conf (or xinetd if you
use that).  Perhaps it would be better for you to use a binary package
from you OS vendor (e.g. RPM or *.deb)?

Sorry you had a bad time at it.

cheers, jerry