How to integrate i18n docs in HEAD branch

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Sep 26 15:46:09 GMT 2001

Monyo,

Sorry so late.  I know this has already been commited. Glad to see
things going forward. I've been a little tied up with other deadlines.
(almost done).

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:

> To support SWAT i18n, we can determine where to put i18n documents in
> the source archive.
>
> There are several kind of documents.
>
> 1. translation of swat/{help,images,included}
>   At samba-technical, I proposed swat/$ln/{help,images,included}.

Makes sense to me.

> Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> >One request though - I think we should have a "lang" subdirectory for
> >languages. For example the ja Samba currently uses /swat/ja/ for the
> >Japanese SWAT templates, whereas I think we should probably use
> >/swat/lang/ja. That will scale a little better when we eventually get
> >dozens of languages in there.

I agree.  I will defer to your judgement in this manner.
You have discussed things thoroughly with Tridge so I'm sure
all the bases are covered.

> 2. translation of docs/{html,text}docs and docs/manpages
>
>   I know Jerry put the Polish SGML files under docbook dir, but for
>   installation we need only html and man page (and some text) files.
>
>   We need to have docs of these formats because I think we should not
>   assume that DOCBOOK - html and man page converter is always
>   installed on the platform.
>
>   docs/$ln/{htmldocs,manpages,faq,textdocs} or
>   docs/{htmldocs,manpages,faq,textdocs} are considerable?
>
>   Of course there should be a discussion whether the Samba archive
>   includes these i18n'ed documentations as I mentioned before, but
>   we can discuss it later.

Most of the current documentation distribution is designed around
our current release process.  I think we should split the docs
out into a separate package with a separate (but corresponding
release schedule).  It makes no sense to install polish, japanese,
and other languages for most systems (and vice versa).

Any thoughts on this (i'm having serious deja-vu here).

chers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org