trailing spaces in exclude-from file

Jürgen Bausa Juergen.Bausa at web.de
Mon Jan 24 16:59:38 UTC 2022

On Mon 24 Jan 2022, Paul Slootman via rsync wrote:

>On Mon 24 Jan 2022, Jürgen Bausa via rsync wrote:
>>
>> However, that's just a proposal. But the behavior of trailing spaces is
>> something I guess should be corrected.
>
>Is it?
>How would you otherwise specify a space that you *do* intend to be
>relevant?
>

>Paul

Thats a good point. Seems the problem is more complex than I thought I did not think that someone would intent to have a space at the end of a directory or file name. But this can of course happen. Changing the interpretation of trailing spaces would break backwards compabilty.

So at least there should be a warning in the documentation. Maybe there is already one, but I didnt find it.

jba