Syncing multiple sub-directories to one directory

Wayne Davison wayne at opencoder.net
Wed Sep 30 16:53:39 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 4:46 PM Rob Campbell wrote:

> Thanks for your help.  What you provided didn't work for me because that
> still placed things in subdirectories.

Ah, that's what you were trying to do. Your original email sounded like you
just didn't want it to recurse into subdirectories.

An easier solution than what you ended up with is to specify a trailing
slash after the dir names since that tells rsync you want to copy the
content of a directory rather than the directory by name:

rsync -riv --progress --include '*.jp*g' --include '*.png' --include
'*.dng' --include '*.raw' --include '*.nef' --exclude '*'
/my/phone/root/dir/{Duo,DCIM,WhatsApp}/ /my/backup/directory/for/images/