Regarding an "earlier" variant of `pre-xfer exec` [feature request and proposed patch]

Wayne Davison wayne at opencoder.net
Thu Jun 11 04:51:24 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:00 AM Ciprian Dorin Craciun via rsync <
rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Therefore I've tried to patch `rsync` myself, mainly by copy-pasting the
> code related to `pre-xfer exec` option:
>
> https://github.com/cipriancraciun/rsync/commit/1f85c5f596542ed878d09a60e55ea0279346802b

Thanks for the patch, and sorry for the slow response!  I took your idea
and tweaked it into an "early exec" daemon parameter that runs at the same
spot that your "bootstrap exec" ran.  My resulting version also has the
code for early & pre-xfer reorganized a bit into functions that both the
before-transfer execs can share, and I managed to fix a couple minor issues
that I noticed along the way (such as the RSYNC_PID environment variable
not matching between the pre & post exec funcs).