Rsync 3.2.3 released

Perry Hutchison pluto at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Aug 8 18:14:55 UTC 2020

Rupert Gallagher via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 7 Aug 2020, 23:44, Wayne Davison < wayne at opencoder.net> wrote:
>
> >> Also, I have 12GB of cache in ecc ram that rsync is not using.
>
> >It uses whatever memory it needs plus whatever filesystem caching
> >your OS provides.
>
> Hmmm... bad day today...
>
> No, it is not using all available resources. It is doing frantic
> I/O instead of buffering. The result is a appalling low transfer
> rate.

This is an OS configuration/tuning problem, not an rsync problem.

Application-level code (such as rsync) does not directly deal with
NUMA features such as external RAM banks.  Support for that sort of
thing would normally be provided by the OS memory management and
filesystem code -- but (depending on the hardware details) it might
need configuration or even a specialized driver.