Invalid argument with version 3.1.3

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sat Sep 29 21:39:07 UTC 2018

We reently upgraded our rsync client from Freebsd 10.2 to 11.2 which
upgraded our rsync from 3.0.6 protocol version 30 to 3.1.3 protocol
version 31. The server remains Freebsd 11.1 with rsync 3.1.2 protocol
version 31. Now we get numerous messages like this:

  rsync: readlink_stat("/disk/homedirs/nber/bstevens/public_html/old/test/press
  reaction/Foreign Language/Los_empleados_no_se_casan,_s\#363lo_se_divorcian.PDF")
  failed: Invalid argument (22)

Apparently the filename includes a non-ASCII character , such as windows
might do (via samba). My understanding is that Unix filenames can contain
any sequence of bytes except for the null byte, so why should this cause a
problem? Is there an rsync option to allow these files to transfer? Should
I go back to rsync 3.0.6?

Rsync commands are (aproximately):

   rsync --server -logDtprze.iLsfxC --delete . /disk/

and

   rsync -a -z -t --delete -e  ssh -l root host:/disk/

Daniel Feenberg