Modification times being updated even when time difference is smaller than modify-window

Maxime Boissonneault maxime.boissonneault at calculquebec.ca
Mon Sep 24 20:03:41 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am using rsync to synchronize across two different filesystems (one is
an sshfs mount, while the other one is an xfs).

I am synchronizing from the xfs to the sshfs one.

The xfs filesystem has a sub-second resolution for modification
timestamps, while the sshfs one has a 1-second resolution.

My synchronization are always rather slow. When investigating why, I
realized that rsync is attempting to set the modification timestamp for
a bunch of files every single time, even though they have not changed.
Since I use the --size-only option, it is not transferring files (they
have not changed), but it is nevertheless attempting to set the
modification times.

Looking through the manpage, I discovered "--modify-window" which,
presumably, when set to 1, should avoid this behavior. Unfortunately, it
does not. I would expect that with "--modify-window=1", it would only
attempt to update the remote timestamp if the time delta is larger than
1 second.

Is this a bug or a feature ?

I am using rsync  version 3.1.2  protocol version 31

--
Maxime Boissonneault