--partial not working?

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Tue Jun 28 11:17:04 UTC 2016

On Fri 24 Jun 2016, Kevin Korb wrote:

> Again, --partial only means don't delete the incomplete file if rsync is
> aborted.  Normally rsync will delete the incomplete file so you don't
> have bogus files laying around.
>
> When you rsync to or from a network mount to rsync that is a local copy.
>  To use rsync over the network either your source or your target would
> be hostname:/path (for rsync over ssh) or hostname::module (for an
> rsyncd server).
>
> With a local copy rsync forces --whole-file because that is a simple
> read the file from one place and write it to the other place.  If you

If you are 100% sure that the source file has not changed in the
meantime, you could use -P --append as that tells rsync that the
destination file is identical to the source file as far as the data
exists. So rsync will just append the remaining data to the file without
bothering to check it.

According to a test I did --append isn't overridden by --whole-file so
it should work.

Paul