Operation not supported (95)

Albert Berger nbdspcl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:26:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:23:01AM +0200, Fabian Cenedese wrote:

> >> In addition to what Kevin said, if you are rsync-ing to a SAMBA share, you
> >> will be limited to what the SAMBA server supports and not all are
> >> configured to enable ACL support.
> >
> >The 'backup' Samba share on the destination machine is configured with
> >
> >inherit acls = yes
> >inherit permissions = yes
>
> Why don't you start a rsync daemon on the destination and connect with
> the rsync protocol? This circumvents Samba limitations and also gives
> you the differential transfer algorithm. It's probably also faster because
> only the necessary data has to be sent over the line.

Sorry, what are the Samba limitations regarding ACLs in this case? The
error is definitly caused by Samba's not properly handling ACLs? If
so, then it seems reasonable to use rsync on the destination side. But
otherwise, I would prefer to go by without rsync on destination in order to
have the possibility to change the destination to machines where rsync is
not running without much reconfiguring.

Albert.