rsync script for snapshot backups

Larry Irwin (gmail) mkitwrk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 20:01:14 UTC 2016

The scripts I use analyze the rsync log after it completes and then
sftp's a summary to the root of the just completed rsync.
If no summary is found or the summary is that it failed, the folder
rotation for that set is skipped and that folder is re-used on the
subsequent rsync.
The key here is that the folder rotation script runs separately from the
rsync script(s).
For each entity I want to rsync, I create a named folder to identify it
and the rsync'd data is held in sub-folders:
daily.[1-7] and monthly.[1-3]
When I rsync, I rsync into daily.0 using daily.1 as the link-dest.
Then the rotation script checks daily.0/rsync.summary - and if it
worked, it removes daily.7 and renames the daily folders.
On the first of the month, the rotation script removes monthly.3,
renames the other 2 and makes a complete hard-link copy of daily.1 to
monthly.1
It's been running now for about 4 years and, in my environment, the 10
copies take about 4 times the space of a single copy.
(we do complete copies of linux servers - starting from /)
If there's a good spot to post the scripts, I'd be glad to put them up.

--
Larry Irwin
Cell: 864-525-1322
Email: lrirwin at alum.wustl.edu